Saturday, July 28, 2007

Where is my Comment?


Where is my Comment?
For the past few days, I have not posted any of the comments that have been submitted to this Blog.

This shut-down of comments has created a flurry of: “That is not fair.” “You are attempting to silence us!” “We deserve to be heard!” “Maybe we should bring signs of protest of this unfair action to your place of business!” “This is totally unconstitutional!” “This calls for writing a Letter to the Editor.”

When people in a free society are denied their right to be heard, they feel cheated. When those actions come from their Church, those feelings become even stronger and much more deeply rooted.

Four years ago, when our Bishop decided to take revenge against our church employees, we too asked to be heard. We sent our bishop letters. We sent “Letters to the Editor”. We protested with signs outside our church. We tried everything we could think of to convince our bishop that he had done wrong and that he needed to correct the injustice that he had created. Our efforts fell on deaf ears.

When our bishop sent us a new pastor, we again asked to be heard. We wrote our new pastor letters. We called the rectory to set up meetings. When all of the usual things failed, we started wearing red shirts in protest. Instead of sitting down with us, our new pastor started removing us from our ministries and declared us to be “not in good standing with the Catholic Church”. I guess the worst part of all is knowledge that our bishop condones our pastor’s actions.

Somehow, not being heard in this light seems to be much more offensive than not having your comments posted.

OUR efforts to be heard continue...
~Kanickers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all a very sad commentary on both our maturity and our Christianity. It wasn't surprising in the least considering how the dialogue had degenerated into insults and derogatory comments. We need to find what we have in common and what we are all striving for, not using our differences as weapons to inflict painful and fatal wounds.

If I were to say that I was a Catholic who believed that Adam and Eve were not real people but a way of explaining the beginning of the world to a people of little sophistication, would you tell me that I had no right to call myself Catholic? If I could accept that you believe in the Immaculate Conception with no doubts whatsoever, could you accept that I do have doubts? If I truly believe that God loves you, can you accept that He loves me too?

Daisy

Anonymous said...

There must be more to being a Catholic than this.